15/8/2021 Cycling Centre Refurbishment - Public Information Sessions later this month
10 August 2021
CYCLING CENTRE REFURISHMENT PROJECT
Manchester City Council is planning to undertake a programme of refurbishment of the Velodrome arena and concourse at the National Cycling Centre, in order to modernise the facility and to enable it to continue to meet the needs of the community and elite track cycling programmes for the next 20 years.
The upgrade works will include many areas of the Velodrome building and concourse including:
- Replacement of the seating throughout the Velodrome plus an increase to capacity
- Replacement of the track barrier including a new glazed design
- New sports court floor in the track centre
- New track timing, photo-finish and digital display board
- New café area within the main concourse
- Refurbishment of changing rooms and toilets, including the addition of a Changing Places facility
- New entrance doors
The project will also include a range of mechanical and electrical works and will introduce new sustainable technologies designed to reduce carbon emissions and to provide a more modern and efficient building in the long term. This includes:
- A full replacement of all of the building mechanical, electrical and plumbing services including lighting and ventilation
- Air source heat pumps to de-carbonise the facility
- Re-roofing of the single ply roof area
- Construction of a new external plant room
Due to the comprehensive extent of the planned works, it will be necessary to close the Velodrome arena during the coming winter until the summer of 2022.
Both the track and track centre will be affected by this closure, as will the meeting rooms in the Velodrome building. The Velopark Café will also be closing and will be relocated to a new space within the main concourse.
If you would like to know more information and what this will mean for you, we would like to invite you to come along to one of our public information sessions.
Tuesday 24th August 2021 - Between 5pm and 8pm
Friday 27th August 2021 - Between 12 noon and 3pm
There's no need to book to attend, just come along. All sessions will be held in the Track Bank Meeting Room on the ground floor of the Velodrome building.
At each of these sessions representatives from Manchester City Council, MCRactive, GLL and the project team will be on hand to take questions. The team will explain the progress to date and give an outline of the programme, including any relocation options that are being developed for the services impacted.
Additionally we will be explaining what we are investing in and what the building will look like post completion. If there are any outstanding concerns that cannot be addressed, these will be identified and logged for the appropriate feedback before planning is submitted.
On behalf of Manchester City Council, the project team and ourselves, we hope to see you at one of the events later this month.